Monday, December 16, 2013

A step into the unknown

I do not know if it is only me who feels this restlessness about the unknown sometimes. I have always admired people who seem to be able to move from one episode of their life to the next with perfect ease. It is not as if I have not done it myself; I have also frequently taken the plunge but not without any trepidation and misgivings of what comes next. Whether it is moving to university, going to a different country or just meeting new people, I simply can not get rid of the nagging doubts and worries. I feel that the people who do not worry frequently enjoy their life the most.

That restlessness is upon me again. The idea of change has always filled me with foreboding but I know change is necessary. One of my German professors said a very meaningful thing to me last August. He told me that it is necessary to complete one thing before starting on a new phase. An end signifies not only the end, but a beginning as well. The simple statement touched me and allayed some of my fears. I know it would seem very trivial to someone but sometimes in our lives, all of us are afraid of what the future holds. For the past few years, I have kept telling myself that every thing will turn out to be for the best, that I trust Allah and Allah will help me overcome all the obstacles. I was never let down in my belief and this is what holds me together now when I stare into the darkness and make myself ready to walk into it, perhaps through it to light.

Faroha Liaqat
http://avoiceforislam.blogspot.com

1 comment: