Sunday, August 21, 2016

Coke Studio Pakistan: A Symbol of Our Growing Nationalism

It's been a while since I have written anything and this post is prompted by a recent discussion I had with an Indian music critic of my acquaintance. Naturally, we talked about Coke Studio, a phenomenon that has taken over the Sub-Continent for the last many years but recently more so. My acquaintance pointed out this article to me written in the Express Tribune (http://tribune.com.pk/story/1165475/justice-and-remembrance/ ) and asked my opinion about the growing "misplaced nationalism" (as he called it) in the Pakistanis, giving Coke Studio's recent seasons as an example. I do agree with some parts of this Tribune article due to my thinking that a failure to protect citizens from blatant, senseless murder should not be sold in the garb of sacrifices made for the nation and I am glad that a growing majority of people in Pakistan now speak up about it if Pakistani media discussions are any indication. However, as a Pakistani, I understand and endorse the cause for celebration Pakistanis generally feel for all the good things we have seen emerging in the country in recent times after the turbulent decade we have been through - no matter if these reasons come from arts, music, writings, drama, film or anything distinctly ours, overtly Pakistani.

It is hard to explain to someone who has not seen this himself/herself, as this is a side of mainstream Pakistan rarely reflected in the media. We Pakistanis own our lot with a heart that flows with pride and we celebrate the good news with a fervour that borders on desperation. Coke Studio is a case in point. The nationalism we see being exhibited in Coke Studio is something we see everywhere in Pakistan these days and this is not state-dictated - it is felt and shown by ordinary people, particularly the youth. I do not remember young people from ten years ago wearing their patriotism on their sleeves and celebrating their identity in such a way as now and it warms my heart. This pride and sense of belonging is rampant in the Pakistan of today, from the political rallies of Imran Khan where people from poor to upper middle class to elite backgrounds dance on national anthems; to watching our home grown TV channels, be they news or drama, with Star Plus as a distant memory of the past; to thronging our cinemas to watch mediocre local movies just because they are ours; to our celebration of PSL T20 which had us hooked and screaming in delight; to our wearing of clothing showing anything Pakistani; to grown up men and women crying unashamedly while singing the national anthem in the Qaddafi stadium last year when cricket came home; to our celebrations of any positive news we see about Pakistan.

We are a strange people. I have never seen any other nation laughing at their own mistakes and faults and cursing them as much as we do and at the same time, we are so much in love with our identity. From the discussions with your fruit wallah to your colleagues to friends and family, this "owning our faults and strengths" is such an undercurrent in our conversation. We just love to own anything ours and Coke Studio is a huge symbol of "us", the us we want to show the world, the us that is mainstream. That is why we love it when we see the tagline "Sound of the nation" and well up when we hear "Sohni dharti" and "Raah e Haq". Coke studio is not just catering to the populist sentiment - these feelings are shared by many people in our music and drama industry, a fact that shows itself when stars like Ali Zafar speak about investing their everything in studios in Pakistan, when the industry comes together for Shaukat Khanum fundraisers - it is not just philantrophy they are after - we want to build our own infrastructure, something we have done quite well. Coke Studio is mainly reflecting modern day Pakistan. The show may have gone overboard once or twice but largely, it's loved because it depicts us and that's why it draws all the flak on Twitter and YouTube when it starts sounding Bollywood-ish. We may consume Bollywood but we do love our own identity and this sentiment has never been as strong as now.

I may be ranting here but truly, this is something I and countless of my friends have noticed about the Pakistan of today. I have lived abroad for the last 7 years in different countries and every time I go home (which to me is always Pakistan), after every 6 months or an year, I am struck by the national fervour and great progress there. All of this may have escaped my notice had I been living in Pakistan but I and my friends all react in a similar way when we are in Pakistanfor a visit or are freshly back. There is such a sense of belonging even in people who wish to get a foreign passport - you can never really "un-Pakistan" yourself, not that I would ever wish to. This never ceases to amaze me. What is it about today's main stream Pakistan that evokes such love, such pride, such passion? I don't know the answer but I do know about my racing heart while I write these words and this only means that I am desperately in love with my homeland

So  my dear Indian friends or any one who cares to listen: we are not being "in your face" when we celebrate the "sound of the nation". We are just celebrating ourselves and our lighter side. You see our warmth, our joy and our pride. You see a face of mainstream Pakistan that is very much real. It's not directed at any one else - it is a personal reminder that we are good. Yes, we can be better but we love ourselves as we are, flawed but loveable and anything that is our very own.

Dedicated to the "Sohni dharti" I very much love.

Dr. Faroha Liaqat

http://avoiceforislam.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment