Thursday, October 6, 2016

Pakistani Society: Morals vs Materialism

Sometimes I wonder what kind of a people we are turning into? By "we", I mean the Pakistanis in particular. Make no mistake - I love my country, absolutely love it and there is no place that gives me more happiness. However, I am sometimes amazed at the recent change in the attitude of the youth here. So much materialism, so little value for character! I belong to the same generation and yet I find such a widely different viewpoint in most people few years younger to me. Maybe my years of travelling abroad and living in Europe have made me wiser - some would say I have become an idealist. However, as the years pass, character and morals become more and more important to me. I am not swayed by materialistic things as easily as I see many people affected around me and it saddens me greatly.

I have left a job in UK recently because it made me unhappy - miserable even -and I felt Pakistan was calling. This was a step that I don't think many people would have taken but I made the gamble. Back in Pakistan now, I am dismayed by people's attitudes - all they want is to move abroad, by hook or by crook. I do understand the lure of foreign lands, prosperity and travel but what saddens me is the extent to which people are willing to go to achieve their ends. There is no decency in any argument unfortunately and God forbid if a girl chooses to argue! The older generation was more polite - the current one is losing manners (not all, I hope).

I do not regret my decision to be back for now but I do wonder about the future. Travelling changes you and places change you. I am a very different person than the innocent, shy girl who ventured abroad to study 7, 8 years ago. I think independently and have strong opinions; I value character and honesty; and I hate hyprocrisy and duplicity - something that made my workplace miserable for me in UK. I see a lot of duplicity around me. I don't understand the need of invoking Islam at every point when you don't let the Deen seep through to your heart. If faith doesn't make you a better human, you are a lost soul and there is no need to pretend otherwise. Maybe it's just been a week and I would change again, though I am very much afraid to be disillusioned by the changing place that is Pakistan nowadays. Progress is good but it need not be at the expense of decency.

Dr. Faroha Liaqat
http://avoiceforislam.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment